Cuenca, EcuadorLive and learn in the UNESCO World Heritage City of Cuenca.
It's a perfect balance between a bustling city and small, country town.
March 3-12, 2018 (10 Days)
dates are flexible, we also offer this program year-round
Our service-learning program puts sustainability first and values a student-led approach. With an emphasis on experiential and applied learning, our program combines classroom education with meaningful community service work abroad.
Ten days of service learning at a local organization, applying classroom discussions to real-life service in the Cuenca community
Living in one of our handpicked homestay families with 3 traditional meals daily
A curriculum focused on critical thinking and reflection on our role as volunteers and advocates for social change
Weekend excursions out to ancient ruins and untouched national parks and daily cultural immersion activities (salsa classes, market scavenger hunts, cultural cooking classes etc.)
Resume building and job hunting workshops: applying international service learning skills in the real world
Where Your Money Goes
Your program with El Nomad contributes holistically to the local community and economy of Cuenca, Ecuador.
- Transportation from Guayaquil or Quito to Cuenca upon arrival and prior to departure (either flight or van, depending on where you fly into)
- Full day on-site orientation with city tour (Yes, there will be a red double-decker bus!) and welcome meal (psst – we might bully you into trying some freshly roasted Guinea Pig – “cuy” in Spanish)
- Prepaid bus pass with credit to start you out
- A cell phone rental with credit to start you out
- 24-hour emergency number in-country and bilingual on-site staff
- Access to the El Nomad Center with sporting equipment rentals, movies, lounge area for students, travel resources, bilingual book exchange, etc.
- Travel booking assistance
- Re-entry workshop
- Program fees and taxes
- Gain field experience in the planning, analysis, and execution of a community-oriented service project
- Contribute to a long-term partnership with a local organization that extends beyond your time in Ecuador
- Expand your international cultural and social competency as a committed global citizen