Cuenca, EcuadorLive and learn in the UNESCO World Heritage City of Cuenca.
It's a perfect balance between a bustling city and small, country town.
June 17th - June 27th, 2017 (10 days)*
Flexible Dates. Contact Us for Details.
- Seven days of service learning at a local organization, applying classroom discussions to real-life service within the Ecuadorian community
- Local hand-picked homestay families with three traditional meals per day
- 3-day beach trip and day excursions out to the little Galapagos
- Cultural immersion activities (cultural workshops, market exploration, cooking classes, bailoterapia and more)
- Weekend excursions to ancient Incan ruins and untouched national parks
Program fee: $1,950 USD
Where Your Money Goes
Your program with El Nomad contributes holistically to the local community and economy of Cuenca, Ecuador. Here’s what’s included in your program:
- Airport pickup and transportation from Guayaquil or Quito to Cuenca upon arrival and prior to departure (either flight or van, depending on where you fly in to)
- Full day on-site orientation with city tour (Yes, there will be a red double-decker bus) and welcome meal (psst – we might bully you into trying some freshly roasted Guinea Pig – “cuy” in Spanish
- Prepaid bus pass & rental cell phone with credit to start you out
- 3-day trip to the Ecuadorian coast: Ayampe, Isla de la Plata, Machalilla National Park
- Cultural activities and weekend excursions out to Cajas National Park and Ingapirca Ruins
- 24-hour emergency number in-country and bilingual on-site staff
- Access to the El Nomad Center with sporting equipment rentals, movies, lounge area for students, travel resources, bilingual book exchange, etc.
- Re-entry workshop
- Program fees and taxes
Through an experiential learning model and a focus on local immersion experiences, you will leave with hard skills and valuable connections, including:
- Gain field experience in the planning, analysis, and execution of a community-oriented service project
- Contribute to a long-term partnership with a local organization that extends beyond your time in Ecuador
- Home away from home. Local Ecuadorian friends and a second family in Ecuador